Sunday 20 July 2014

The Start!


Ok, confession time. Despite the title, I am not yet a student nurse (but I am forever the optimist).

For a while now I have known deep down that nursing is for me. I have worked in care since I left university from 2010-2013. Over the last year I have been working in an office based job, and it has really made me value the caring profession as a career. I learnt the hard way that for me, money does not bring job satisfaction, but the chance to make a difference to people’s lives does. With this realisation, I knew I needed to follow my dream of training to become a nurse.

Yes, it is not a glamorous job. Yes, nurses are grossly underpaid. Yes, nurses are generally undervalued. Yes, nurses are over worked. Yes, basically everything nurses do is under scrutiny. But tell me of a profession that does not have its ups and down. I would much prefer working under these conditions, than clock watching, resenting my manager, struggle to get up in the morning, just because I am going to that job I hate. When I worked in care, it was far from easy, but making a difference to people, providing care and a quality of life to vulnerable members of our society made it all worthwhile. The smiles at the end of the day was more than enough appreciation needed for the hard work.

So why did I decide to start a blog? And why this early on? I have a habit; when I have decided on doing something I research it to the Nth degree. I have to admit I become very engrossed in things I am passionate about. I think it stems from always being organised when it comes to learning or work. I always want to have all the facts. But searching online, I have found some great blogs, vlogs and also a few forums but none of them seem to cover everything. And when I say everything, I mean right from the conception of deciding on looking into a career in nursing, right up to graduation day.

So I am here to tell my tale of a 26 year old who is embarking on the student nurse journey. Please feel free to share your comments. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment